Savory Cheese Dates
Ingredients: makes about 1 dozen
1 dozen pitted dates
1 dozen pecans, walnut halves, or almonds
1 cup cassava flour or white flour
1 cup finely shredded cheese
1/4 cup ghee or fat of choice
1/4 cup water
pinch of salt
1 Tbsp rosemary, finely minced
1. Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. If you're opting for spicy, add your nuts to a skillet with a tiny bit of cooking oil on medium heat. Sprinkle with a pinch of Perfection or Whoop Ass spice and toast on low for a few minutes. If you're not adding spice, you can leave these untoasted or toast without spice for a few moments for a nuttier flavor.
3. When nuts have cooled, stuff your dates each with a nut.
4. In a bowl, combine flour, rosemary, cheese, salt, and if using, Shepherd Herb blend. A tablespoon at a time, add in the melted ghee or butter and water, mixing as you add them to form a dough that's slightly crumbly, yet still holds together when you form it into a ball.
5. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. Form each into a ball, then flatten. Fill each with a date and wrap the dough around each, working to cover any cracks and ensuring the thickness is even all around. Roll them between your hands to smooth.
4. Bake at 400 on a baking sheet with parchment paper or that is well greased, flipping halfway through, for about 20 minutes. Serve warm, or slightly heat before serving.