Ancho Pepper Chili
1 lb Ground pork
1 lb Ground beef
6 oz Dried ancho chiles
4-5 C Broth
1/4 C Maple syrup
1/4 C Orange juice
2 Heads garlic, peeled and chopped
1 Chopped onion
1 Chopped red pepper
2 Tbs Coffee, ground into a fine powder
2 Tbs Fat of choice (lard, oil, butter)
1 Tbs Salt
1 Shot tequila (optional)
1. Begin by boiling some hot water. While water is boiling, chop the ancho chiles, removing the seeds and place in a large bowl. Pour the boiling water over the chiles, cover, and left soften for about an hour.
2. Puree the chiles with 1 1/2 cups of the water in a blender until a thick sauce is formed and set aside.
3. In a large pot with a lid, add 2 Tbsp cooking fat and heat until hot. Add garlic, onion and red pepper. Cook, stirring, until caramelized and soft. Add the meat and break with a fork into bite-size pieces while browning. Add 1/4 Cup Oaxacan Adobo spice, 1 Tbsp salt, 1 Tbsp coffee and mix well.
4. Pour in a shot of tequila, the orange juice, maple syrup, 1 1/2 Cups of the pepper purée, and 4-5 Cups of broth. Stir well.
5. Simmer on low for a few hours and adjust any of the ingredient amounts to taste.