Ancho Pepper Chili
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 lb ground beef
- 6 oz dried ancho chiles
- 4-5 C broth
- 1/4 C Teeny Tiny Spice Oaxacan Adobo
- 1/4 C Maple syrup
- 1/4 C orange juice
- 2 heads garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped red pepper
- 2 Tbsp coffee, ground into a fine powder
- 2 Tbsp fat of choice (lard, oil, butter)
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 shot tequila (optional)
1. Begin by boiling some hot water. While water is boiling, chop the ancho chiles, removing the seeds and place in a large bowl. Pour the boiling water over the chiles, cover, and left soften for about an hour.
2. Puree the chiles with 1 1/2 cups of the water in a blender until a thick sauce is formed and sit aside.
3. In a large pot with a lid, add 2 Tbsp cooking fat, and heat until hot. Add garlic, onion, and red pepper, and cook, stirring, until caramelized and soft. Add the meat and break with a fork into bite-size pieces while browning. Add 1/4 Cup Oaxacan Adobo spice, 1 Tbsp salt, 1 Tbsp coffee and mix well.
4. Next, pour in a shot of tequila, the orange juice, maple syrup, 1 1/2 Cups of the pepper puree, and 4-5 Cups of broth. Stir well.
5. Simmer on low for a few hours and adjust any of the ingredient amounts to taste.