Five Spice Oven Roasted Ribs
Adapted from this The Kitchn recipe
2 lb pork spare ribs
2 Tbsp coconut aminos or soy sauce
2 Tbsp brown sugar or coconut sugar
1 Tbsp sesame oil (optional, use olive oil if not available)
1/2 Tbsp mustard
1. Combine oil, aminos/soy sauce, and mustard in a small dish and mix well.
2. Combine a pinch of salt, the Chinese Five Spice, and sugar in a separate dish.
3. Preheat oven to high broil.
4. Cover a large baking sheet with foil, then lay a wire rack over it so air can circulate around the ribs while cooking.
5. Lay ribs on top of wire and brush with the liquid mixture.
6. Next, cover both sides in the spice/sugar mix.
7. Broil for 4 minutes, until sugar is bubbling.
8. Turn off broil, lower the ribs to the bottom or middle rack, then cook for 1 hour and 30 minutes at 300.
9. Wrap the ribs with foil and cook for another hour before serving.