Tomato Braised Ras el Hanout Chicken
2 Large boneless chicken breasts
1/2 Can of tomato paste
1 C water
1 Tbs Fresh garlic, chopped
2 tsp Ghee or butter
1 Small sliced onion
Optional: Chopped dates, drizzle of honey
1. Preheat oven to 300℉.
2. Coat 2 chicken breasts with Ras El Hanout.
3. In a large dutch oven or other oven safe pot with lid, melt 2 teaspoons ghee or grassfed butter.
4. Add onion and cook for about 5 minutes. Add in chopped garlic and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring so as not to burn the garlic.
5. Place 2 coated chicken breasts into the pot and cook on each side until beginning to brown, careful not to burn.
6. While chicken is cooking, mix half a small can of tomato paste with a cup of water and mix well.
7. When chicken has been seared, pour tomato sauce overtop.
8. Cover and bake at 300℉ for an hour. Uncover, scoop more of the sauce from the pan on top of the chicken, add chopped dates and cook for another 20 mintues.
9. If sauce is thickening, add a little water, and turn down the heat, cooking for a final 30 minutes. Total cooking time should be about 2 hours. Chicken should easily shred with a fork or spoon. Drizzle 1 tsp honey over chicken before serving.
10. Serve over rice, on tacos or in a salad.