Spiced Chicken in a Pumpkin
- 1 Med Pie/Baking Pumpkin, top cut off and seeds removed
- 2 Tbsp Butter or Olive Oil
- 1½ Lb Boneless Chicken Thigh, cubed
- 1-2 Tbsp Teeny Tiny Spice Blend of your choice
- 1 Med Onion, chopped
- ½ C Carrot, diced
- ½ C Celery Root, diced
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ½ C Apple Cider
- 2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- ¼ C Walnuts, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
2. Prepare the pumpkin.
3. Brown the onions in the butter.
4. Toss the chicken with spice and add to the onions, cooking for 5 minutes.
5. Remove the chicken and onions to a large bowl, and add the remaining vegetables to the hot pan.
6. Cook the vegetables for 1 minute, then add the cider and vinegar to the pan.
7. Simmer the vegetables for 5 minutes, and remove them to the bowl with the chicken.
8. Scrape the pan and cook down the remaining juices until they begin to thicken to a syrup and pour them into the bowl with the other ingredients.
9. Mix all of the ingredients together.
10. Place the mixture into the hollow pumpkin and bake with the pumpkin lid on for 1½ hours or until the pumpkin flesh is soft.
11. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts and serve.