Shepherd Herb Pie (Cottage Pie)
- 8 oz ground beef
- 10 oz butternut squash
- 5 oz (small) sweet potato/yam
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 C peas
- 4 oz chopped carrots
- 1 large mushroom cap, chopped (or several small)
- Teeny Tiny Shepherd Herb Mix
- 1 C broth or stock (optional)
- 1-2 tsp arrowroot or tapioca flour (optional)
- 1 tsp Ghee or Butter
1. Start by chopping squash and sweet potato into cubes and put in a large pot to boil. Bring to a boil, checking until soft. Preheat oven to 350 and grease a bread pan, or small casserole dish.
2. While squash and potato are boiling, brown ground beef in a large skillet, dousing in 2-3 teaspoons of Shepherd Herb mix. Boil some chopped carrots in a small pot at this time, draining when finished. When done, place meat and carrots in a bowl and set aside.
3. In the same skillet that you cooked meat in, add chopped mushroom and chopped onion. Sauté for a few minutes, then add half cup of broth. Cook down mushroom and onion, stirring regularly, as the broth evaporates. Sprinkle with salt, and 2 teaspoon Shepherd Herb.
4. Add 1/2 cup of peas to the carrot meat mixture. Add 1-2 tsp of arrowroot or tapioca flour to the leftover broth, and pour over the skillet with mushroom and onion. This should begin to thicken like gravy. Add the meat/veggie bowl to the skillet and mix well. Continue to stir as liquid evaporates and thickens. When thick and not runny, pour this mixture into a grease bread loaf pan, or small casserole dish.
5. Drain squash/potatoes. add 1 tsp butter or ghee, a tbsp or two of milk, salt, and a sprinkle of Shepherd Herb mix, and blend until whipped, like mashed potato.
6. Spread on top of the meat veggie mixture and bake for 20 minutes at 350.
7. Broil at 400-450 for another 10 to crisp up edges and top. *some liquid may boil up over potato, but it will brown and crisp up, making it extra delicious.