Seaside Spice Drumsticks with Caramelized Onion Dip
For the chicken:
- 2 lbs chicken drumsticks
- 2 Tbsp ghee or butter
- 2 Tbsp Teeny Tiny Spice Seaside blend
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
For the dip:
- 1 Cup avocado oil or light tasting olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 diced yellow onion
- 1/2 tsp vinegar
- oil for frying
- cilantro, parsley, or green onion
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Melt 1 tablespoon of ghee and pour over chicken, then sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon Seaside Spice.
3. On a wire cooking rack on a baking sheet (you can skip the rack if you don't have one) bake for 35 minutes.
4. For the last 10 minutes of cooking, increase the cooking temperature to about 400, then brush the drumsticks with a mixture of the remaining tablespoon of ghee, honey, and spice.
5. Remove and enjoy!
For the dip (best made between steps 3 and 4 from above):
1. Start by cooking your diced onion (as finely diced as you can make them) in some cooking oil or fat. We're going to cook these low and slow! You don't want to burn them, but instead get them caramelized, brown, and bring out their sweetness. Stir occasionally and adjust heat as necessary.
2. While these are cooking, in a large mason jar add 1 egg, salt, juice of 1/2 a lemon, then grab your immersion blender (a food processor should work for this too!)
3. While blending, pour in avocado oil and a mayo should form.
4. When initial sauce is complete, add garlic powder, onion powder, vinegar, cilantro (or greens) and stir.
5. When onions are sweet, tender, and cooked through, add to dip and stir.
6. Refrigerate while wings are finishing.