Seaside Spice Drumsticks with Caramelized Onion Dip
For the chicken:
2 lbs Chicken drumsticks
2 Tbs Ghee or butter
1 Tbs Honey
1 tsp Salt
For the dip:
1 Cup Avocado oil or light tasting olive oil
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Onion powder
1 tsp Garlic powder
1/2 Diced yellow onion
1/2 tsp Vinegar
Oil for frying
Cilantro, parsley, or green onion
1. Preheat oven to 375℉.
2. Place the chicken in a baking pan. Melt 1 tablespoon of ghee and pour over chicken, then sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon Seaside Spice.
3. Bake, covered, for 35 minutes.
4. For the last 10 minutes of cooking, uncover the chicken, increase the cooking temperature to about 400℉, then brush the drumsticks with a mixture of the remaining tablespoon of ghee, honey, and spice.
5. Remove from oven.
For the dip (best made between steps 3 and 4 from above):
1. Start by cooking your very finely diced onion in some cooking oil or fat. We're going to cook these low and slow! You don't want to burn them, but instead get them caramelized and browned to bring out their sweetness. Stir occasionally and adjust heat as necessary.
2. While these are cooking, in a large mason jar add 1 egg, salt, juice of 1/2 a lemon, then grab your immersion blender (a food processor should work for this too!).
3. While blending, slowly pour in avocado oil until your mayo forms.
4. When initial sauce is complete, add garlic powder, onion powder, vinegar, cilantro (or greens) and stir.
5. When onions are sweet, tender, and cooked through, add to dip and stir.
6. Refrigerate while wings are finishing.