Easy Ethiopian Eggplant
1 Medium eggplant, diced
1/2 Medium onion, slivered
1/2 C Water
2 Tbs Tomato paste
1 Tbs Oil, ghee, or butter
2 Cloves chopped garlic
1/2 tbsp Teeny Tiny Spice Ethiopian Berberé
Dash of salt
1. Heat oil, ghee or butter, on medium heat in a large pot.
2. Toss in garlic and onion, and cook for a few minutes until browned. Meanwhile, mix the tomato paste, spice and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
3. When onion has softened slightly, toss in the eggplant and stir well.
4. Once all the eggplant has been mixed with the onion, garlic, oil/butter/ghee, pour in the liquid to cover.
5. If more liquid is needed, add slowly until the liquid is enough to cover the bottom 1/4 of your mix.
6. Cover and cook on low for about 30-45 minutes until softened.
7. With a large wooden spoon, stir to cover all ingredients equally, and slightly mash the eggplant, leaving some pieces intact.
8. Serve over a piece of flatbread, or if you are feeling extra adventurous, make some Ethiopian Injera to serve.