Sweet and Spicy Penang Curry Beef
2-3 Pound beef roast
1 Large onion
1 Bunch of large carrots
2 Large oranges
6 Cloves of garlic
1 Inch of fresh ginger
1 1/2 C Broth of choice
1/4 C Coconut Aminos (or soy sauce)
1/4 C maple syrup
Salt to taste
Oil for frying (Sesame oil or oil of choice)
1. Begin by turning the oven on to 300℉.
2. Chop the onion in half then slice it and set aside.
3. Peel then roughly chop 6 cloves of garlic and set aside.
4. Cover the beef in a dusting of Penang Curry and salt while you heat your oil in a dutch oven or other oven safe pot with a lid.
5. When oil is hot, cook meat on each side until slightly seared, then remove from heat and place on a plate. Meanwhile, combine broth, aminos or soy sauce, maple syrup, and juice from one and a half oranges in a small bowl.
6. Toss in garlic, ginger, and onions, and sauté in the oil until browning. Remove onion mixture from the oil and transfer to the plate with the meat.
7. Pour some of the liquid mix into the pan, carefully scraping up the pieces stuck to the bottom of the pan.
8. Place the meat, onion, garlic, and ginger, back in the pot and pour in more liquid until it comes about halfway up the height of the beef roast. Reserve a couple cups of the liquid.
9. Cover and cook in the oven at 300-325℉ for 3 hours.
10. Before serving, bring remaining liquid to a boil, adding juice from another half orange, and coconut or brown sugar. Reduce until sauce has thickened and serve over beef.