Spiced Lentils and Rice
2 Tbs Olive oil
1 Med Onion
2 Celery stalks
1 Lg Carrot
3 strips bacon (or some sausage or your choice of meat)
1 Tbs Minced garlic
2 C Lentils
1 C Long grain brown rice
4 C Stock (vegetable or chicken)
To taste Salt and pepper
1. Sauté the onion, celery and carrot in the olive oil until soft and tender.
2. Add the meat and cook through.
3. Add garlic, spice, salt and pepper and cook for another minute.
4. Add lentils and rice and cook for another minute.
5. Add the stock, bring to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, about 40 minutes, until the liquid has been absorbed and lentils and rice are cooked through.
6. Adjust seasoning if needed.