Spiced Lentils and Rice
This recipe came from Erika Albinson, who is quickly becoming a culinary wizard. She recently spent two years teaching ESL in Thailand and is now in Romania. We think she now spends most of her free time cooking with our spices. Thank you, Miss Erika.
- 2 Tbs Olive oil
- 1 Med Onion
- 2 Celery stalks
- 1 Lg Carrot
- 3 stripsBacon (or some sausage or your choice of meat)
- 1 Tbs Minced garlic
- 2 Tbs Teeny Tiny Spice Co. Ras el Hanout or Ethiopian BerberÃ©
- 2 C Lentils
- 1 C Long grain brown rice
- 4 C Stock (vegetable or chicken)
- To taste Salt and pepper
1. Sauté the onion, celery and carrot in the olive oil until soft and tender.
2. Add the meat and cook through.
3. Add garlic, spice, salt and pepper and cook for another minute.
4. Add lentils and rice and cook for another minute.
5. Add the stock, bring to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, about 40 minutes, until the liquid has been abosorbed and lentils and rice are cooked through.
6. Adjust seasoning if needed.